Friday, October 19, 2007

Politics and Health

Half of my pay comes from the government, while the other half comes from donations and sales of diabetes related products. We have very little to do anything else other than the day to day running of the clinic. Therefore when election is round the corner and the government is throwing out ridiculous amounts of money, you just got to put your heads together to get a submission in there. Its these little bits of money that helps to upgrade and improve our services.
The process is long and arduous. After the submission, it took 3-4 months before we got to know the outcome. So when a friend who is working in the government sector rings to say congrats you've got the money...so what did you put in for? Urr... cant really remember, but I know its something to do with cooking and exercise, let me check to see what I wrote!


$143K for 4 series of 10 workshops around exercise, nutrition and cooking for diabetic and cardiac clients. There's always small grants around, I've written a few for 1-2k but this is the biggest lot of money I've ever recieved.
Needless to say, I'll be doing the cooking and nutrition session. But hey, they'll be no golden taps here... we are truly poor.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Sound like a huge achievement!

Serene Bean said...

Wah! Job well done on getting the grant! :)

AJun said...

Well, I guess the govt is very generous around this time of the year but I take my hats off to the people assessing it. Going through 2000+ applications that are at least 20-30 pages each.
P.S. Can I apply for some professional development money from Wyeth ;)

Serene Bean said...

Hey, you never know. Send a letter in to Corporate Affairs. :) Maybe you can work something in about childhood nutrition, seeing we do make S-26. :)