Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Options

"...our squad of athletes have grown dramatically over the years..."
"...we need someone who knows the sport and is willing to train with the athletes... but also know their life outside the sport.."
"...we need someone who knows the education system and the stress the athletes face.."
" ...we need someone has done the hard yard, has life experiences and who the athletes can look up to as a life coach.."

Just some extracts of a phone conversation I had with the Singapore Sailing CEO last Friday. The irony, I worked with passion hoping for a full time job only to be told, we really need you, but red tape restricts us from hiring you (full time). I left the country and with it my disillusion.

"..we had a meeting some time back and your name came up as the best person for the job.."
"...would you be keen to take up a high performance/sports science coordinator for the junior squad of National sailors for the upcoming Asian Games and 2010 Youth Olympics...."

Me: How much are u going to pay me! ( not those exact words but similar meaning)

"no scale really. Its up to you to negotiate.." (I take that as any thing I want..ha)

I couldn't really sleep on Friday. I had initial granduers of box seat tickets to a stadium pack full of people while watching our group of athletes walk into the stadium. But am held back with a good stable job, my own patch and a lifestyle only people in Singapore can dream about. Do I really want to give it all up for passion again?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unlikely they will pay you enough. But if you really score @ the new job and it works out, you would be able to go far as one of the pioneer in the sailing field. Also you get to be back with your family but you lose your freedom and the ultimate pad.

ME? I would just stay with Darwin but then I am not thinking real right cos I wanna escape Singapore now.

Also there r those Taiwan chicks u get all the time over in Darwin.

Anonymous said...

Also note that the offer is up to yr 2010. I doubt they treasure staff in Singapore as much as they treasure staff in Australia.

Looking @ the recent Table tennis incident, they treasure the players more then the coaching staff.

So think about ur future. where do you wan to be. Singapore or Australia.

I took it for granted that my future will be Jeanie. See where its gone now?

AJun said...

YEs, I think I'm more settled here now. Its not just the financial cost of it but the networks and links I'm giving up. Watch my next post and u'll know I'll have to give up much more than that..

Catty Pants said...

Welcome back G! Long time no blog!

Tough question indeed. I know cause I'm stuck here in Melbourne for the next 5 years and to be honest, don't mind living here long term but I really miss my family and the culture back home. I wish everything could be in one place but then, that would be perfection and unattainable.

Is there the possibility of going back for that stint? It's only 2 years and your resume is still growing. Not like you are not learning and growing through it all.

Sometimes we all just have to take the plunge and risk it. I suppose you had already by going back to Singapore the previous time.

I know! Just move to Melbourne *wide grin*

Unknown said...

what happen to the idea of coming to UK ??

AJun said...

Thanks Cat, just slacking off. But I was truly busy. Guess what, I'm doing this 10 wk cooking and activity group for diabetes and cardiac clients and I cooked the puttanesca...(revised with less sodium..ha)
You're right, if its not Singapore, perhaps I would have taken it. U watch the recent Olympics and you see the people you worked with and think, I could have been there....

Anonymous said...

Actually... you watch the recent olympics and you think... I wished I was a China born with sports talents in Singapore.

Catty Pants said...

You cooked the puttanesca???? YAY!!! Did you like it?? Any pics???? I'm so excited :):):)

AJun said...

Yes Mike, there are politics in everything including sports. But I support our homegrown sailors!

I know the project officer took some pictures. Will see if she has any of the puttanesca. It was great, quick and simple. I sub with fresh tomatoes.

Unknown said...

eh... where's my comments ????

Unknown said...

did u delete my comments????

AJun said...

I seriously didnt know what happened. Only got the note in my gmail this morning.
There's too much uncertainty with the UK. Would be a little hard to balance the mortgage if I went over.

Serene Bean said...

Hi G! Follow your heart. Where does it say you want to be long term?

If both sides can be flexible in terms of job openings, then grab the stint in S'pore!

Fingers crossed!