Monday, March 24, 2008

Never Plain Sailing

Coming from a windsurf background, I've always considered us as being fastest on the water when the wind picks-up. Surfing from Joe's Shack or PA sea sports club, I'd see sail boats bobing up and down and think to myself, "Gosh, I'd never want to be in one of those, it'll be damn boring".
As a Sports Dietitian I was given the sailing portfolio to look after, partly for my love of the sea and perhaps partly cos I stay pretty closeby. Guess my point of view changed after attending the basic laser sailing course. While the speed might not be as fast, u still get the thrill when the boat heels on a strong gust. Maybe the drawing card was although it was more technical it was still relatively easy to pick. Windsurf on the other hand can be punishing initially.
So when I was back in Singapore for hols and asked to tag along on the keelboat with 3 of the nations best, I never hesitated. The trip came up as a dry run as one of the sailors was doing a coporate teambulding gig, and we were the participants.
Justin Wong (same name as my bro) but totally different character, always ready to crack a joke and ogle at anything with breast. Anyway, when it came down to business, I could see why he was the best. Cos hes good at what he does, and FAST! To setup the sail, he had to climb up the mast. Just imagine climbing un-aided up a 2 storey pole on a boat that is rocking with each passing wave. Its no mean feat.
Seng Leong, who pretty much was at the helm to whole way. Between him and Justin, I think they could have pretty much sailed the boat by themselves.
Me, together with Siobhan's sister and b/f.
Packing up the sail for the day....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Decent size boat i say...nice.