Sunday, May 4, 2008

Paranoia

My housemate has this thing about the flat burning down. For me, I've got an obsession with security. And trust me, if I had the choice, I would never have gotten the flat on the ground level. I'm probably one of the few people who would pay $600+ for a 'flyscreen' door, the only difference is that the mesh is stainless steel, and you cannot lift it off the rails. I dun wanna have to close the sliding doors everytime I'm gonna take a shower.

Perhaps its also the fact that we've had someone broke into our place in Singapore previously. When the cops came and asked what was missing, we noticed that the burglar had actually taken something from upstairs. Meaning he actually came in, and ventured upstairs when we were sleeping. Frankly, I'd hate to walk into one, if I ever had to take a leak middle of the night. Anyway, Mike introduced me to a torchlight, Sure Fire. It's one used by police/tactical forces and is meant to blind assilants with its powerful rays; which I sleep with under my pillow!! (there goes my element of surprise).
I was doing the sheets this week and I noticed that the washing machine was more noisy than usual. As I started taking the sheets out, I realised that the torch was in there. When I opened it, it was bone dry inside and still works.

Any torch that has batteries with a shelf life of 10 years, can blind would be burglars, used for my camping and is able to go thru a whole washing machine cycle; thats where I'd put my money.

P.S. Its slightly smaller than the size of my palm so will fit nicely into any handbags ;)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

didnt know you're so concern with security of your apartment!

Sher said...

i din know either!!!! funny, i'm still v lax with security. its like i hv this mentality that the world is a nice place and nobody will be so mean as to rob me. ya la v stupid la i know, esp now i hv 3 kids to protect.

Catty Pants said...

Wow...talk about high security!

I hate to say this but once, I've slept in my apartment (alone) with my front door unlocked here in Melbourne. I just forgot to lock it!! I've also taken a shower and plodded around my apartment one entire afternoon with the front door unlocked.

It's really bad!

AJun said...

I guess we all have our insecurities, security is mine.

Gosh Cat, doors not locked! Were the apartment blinds all open as well ;)

Anonymous said...

Toking abt the surefire, my parents just left for isreal and my mum decided tp borrow one of my flashlite. She simply took the brightest and it got to be my surefire.

Grrgg.

Serene Bean said...

Times sure have changed. My in-laws tell me that in the good old days, you don't have to lock your doors. People are THAT honest. Even in shops, the owners don't stay behind the counter all day, if you want to pay for something and no one is there, you just put your money in a jar and take the right amount of change from the same jar!

Not something we see anymore.