Saturday, May 5, 2007

Young David Vs Old Goliath

Here's part 2 of Boys and their toys. Meet my friend Mike and his bike: The Trek Madonne 5.2/5.5 (a bike made famous by Lance Armstrong who rode it during the Tour De France). Now sense would prevail that a mountain bike no matter how fast would NEVER IN THIS LIFETIME BEAT a racer. But what if we threw in the age factor? See Mike is a little over 60 which is more than twice my age. And I know for a fact that busy Mike working 2 jobs only goes riding once a week on a Saturday, so you could say that he's not as fit as me who swims/plays tennis almost 5 times a week, goes riding on a Saturday and soccer on Sunday. So the challenge was thrown down...


The distance: ~36km to East Arm Wharf (return). The terrain: mostly flat roads.


Here's the 2 of us after our ride. And the verdict: The Racer wins. And by the way, I've always lost but I'm not too far behind. Lagging about 2-3km roughly. But its a totally different story when the ride takes us to Channel Island (~90km return). Its not about winning or losing anymore, its about survival (at least for me that is; on a mountain bike)! Getting home in one piece. Am totally wasted after that.

5 comments:

Sher said...

wow mike looks good. i hope you look as good when ur 60.
hmmm. your thighs also seem to have grown.

Anonymous said...

1st things 1st... you are @ Darwin?

Wat the fark are you doing there...correction..is there anything there for you to do?

Secondly.. there is no way in hell you could have beaten Mike(not me..the older one) as he got a 8kg roadie vs your 10.5kg MTB with what i think are hugemongous Panaracer T servs.

If you were on Hutchison Top Slick 1.0, you would have a better chance. Finally a roadie rear cogset would have helped too.

PS: I am seriously thinking about a roadie.

PSS: There is a Scott CR1 team 2005 for sale with full 105 for SGD2500. TGP.com.

AJun said...

Sher: From old b/w picts; Mike was quite a handsome guy. Thighs; must be from soccer and cycling. BTW, I'm wearing KK's tri-shorts.

Killjoy: Yes, I'm in Darwin. Thought u knew. U saw e bike bag before I left. Pretty certain I told u. Lots to do. Working for Diabetes Australia but also doing some work at the Sports Institute.

FYI..'Mike' is always within sight at least for the first 10km. Yeah, I know the odds. 700c rims, 55T crank, smaller cogs, weight. If I used 1.0, need new tubes. Rim might need to change too. At least now I can still go off-road at the National Park.
No point getting roadie cogset. A pure roadie is the way to go.

Serene Bean said...

Eh, it's like reading a different language leh, all this talk about bikes. :)

Anonymous said...

Of cos... a roadie is the way to go but budget leh.

Anyway..I need a diet plan from you. I planning to do the Osim. Sprint distance. How? Can help?