Thursday, May 24, 2007

Foreign Talent and National Pride

I was having dinner with this other Honky the other day (who married a Spore girl); anyway, he was abit frustrated with the educational system here cos his kids never ever returned home with homework. "All they do is play sports in school". Hmm, what's wrong with that picture. I love my sports and if I was a kid again, that dosent sound too bad. Wait...think I'm going off track here. Bottomline: I love my Sports and do follow the cricket and Ashes recently and am looking forward to the Rugby World Cup.
So what do you do when its the Arafura Games and its the final Gold/Silver Hockey playoff match between Australia and Singapore? Well, I gotta say, I'd still barrack for my Singapore Team!!
Where do you draw the line on foreign talent? The world seems a smaller place these days and its increasing common to see athletes of different 'nationality' representin your own country; well cos they have been granted citizenship/PR. So its really heartwarming to see our Singapore Team made up of a Singh, Chinese and Malays playing against the Australians. It brings back memories of watching the Malaysian Cup and the reason of why we watch the Olympics/Major Games. To watch athletes from different countries competing, not watch a Chinese Table Tennis import playing against another player from China.
Well done to our Singapore Hockey boys even though they came in second.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aussie..Aussie..Aussie...

Oi..Oi...Oi..